In the present world, every teen has got ways to monitor social media via smartphones, laptop, I-pad etc. Teen sexting is directing related to the Internet. It basically involves sending and receiving sexual images, messages etc. It includes nude images or selfies, and all other things related to sex. Many girls send sexual images just to joke, some do so to get attention and some do this because the other person forces her to do that. Sexting has become very common among the teens. Girls send messages and boys receive them. This practice is being followed from 2005 onwards. And with the modern and easy technology of transmitting media files, sexting has also become much easy and is widely spreading among the teens which are not at all a good sign. It creates curiosity between the teens and they lose control in themselves which results in participation in sexting and also today’s means of communication makes nothing secure.
FACT: Sexting is commonly followed by teens of 16-17 years of age and gradually these decreases after 18 years.
Consequences of Sexting:
- Teens should understand that the pictures or messages never stay private; it spreads like air and can become public which can spoil their future.
- If they are trapped in sexting, they can be restricted from the college and cant b admitted to other colleges also.
- Teens can be charged by the law for the crime of sexting.
- If the picture becomes public, it can cause severe guiltiness and shame for a teen.
- After being exposed, one can become so depressed that they can commit suicide.
So, teens should be aware of sexting as well as parents should monitor cell phone activity as this may spoil your future as you can feel humiliated when you are caught and can go to depression.
FACT: About 40 percent of the teens have sent or received sexual messages, images or videos. But this is more common among boys as compared to the girls.
Parents’ Responsibility towards children:
- Parents should teach children to make sense of responsibility for themselves as to what is right and what is wrong for them and their career.
- Guardian should talk directly with their child about the present scenario of the globalized world that how children are trapped by sending sexual images or videos.
- Children should be taken to that comfort zone by the parents from childhood itself where both can discuss anything and everything with each other.
- They should be made understood that even once also they send such images, then it is out of their control to stop it from being viral or being misused. There is no way of going back here.
- Parents should install Parental Control Software and send their children to an internet safety class where they will be taught to be aware of such things.
- Parents should monitor phone activity of their child and also restrict the use of the internet for their children at some point in time and make sure that they understand the reason behind that rather than getting aggressive.
- They should make sure that their child’s personal information or any vulgar pictures are not uploaded in any social media like face book, Instagram, Twitter etc.
- If your child is a victim, make them understand rather than blaming them that it’s not their fault. Because this is the moment when they need your advice and support the most.
- If your child is trapped, then contact the site’s administrator who is in charge of the site where the pictures are leaked to delete the content as it is their responsibility to save a child’s reputation.
FACT: 15 percent of the teens who have sent or received sexual images or any content doesn’t know each other personally, they are familiar with each other only through the Internet.
WARNING: The Internet is not the safe place to keep your personal pictures or files.
Thus, the best remedy to this problem is not at all to click such images or record any voice note because if there is no any such content, there is no problem at all. And always secure your child making them understand that their parents are always there for them to help, advice and support them at all stages of life.Tags: cell phone monitoring, child protection software, iphone spy app, parental control apps, parental control iphone, parental control software