The term or word team building generally refers to the fabrication or development of an amicable relationship between a group’s members or participants or between more than one party. We have observed since our childhood the emphasis that most people put on the notion of having and maintaining a beneficial relationship with others. Most of the time, such concepts can come to light due to a few particular activities. Team building brings with it these games.
It is no exaggeration to say that our society is still standing and not falling apart today due to the various teams built throughout the years. These groups coordinate among themselves and work efficiently and effortlessly. Hence, if we are to summarize the benefits and purposes of team building and its associated activities, we can say that:
- Team building helps to build trust among all the members of a group. It allows an individual to learn how to believe in others and where to curb their suspicions. This trust permits the members to develop unconditional faith and confidence in other people. It can enable them to share their secrets and lighten their hearts as and when required.
- When a person learns to trust others, they have conviction in the other members of their group. It allows for the smooth and efficient mitigation and reduction of the possibilities of conflicts. It is primarily because, through team building, an individual can know how the other members in their group perceive things. They can get to know their personalities.
- Team building encourages and helps to develop communication skills in an individual. It allows them to talk to others eye-to-eye and send their message across in its complete sense and essence. It stands true irrespective of the mode via which the message gets sent. These communication skills and understanding of one another help to collaborate better among all the team members.
- An effective team brought about by team building activities remains engaged in their daily tasks and responsibilities. In the long run, it aids in boosting their associated and affiliated company’s morale, culture, and work system.
- Team building activities help the members of a group come out of their daily and monotonous lifestyle. They permit them to enjoy a bit. It allows them to get some time to lighten their moods and calm their nerves. These activities boost and enhance the serotonin levels in the body and lower the stress and anxiety accumulated due to their strenuous job.
What are the Three Types or Kinds of Team Building Activities?
Team building activities can have three primary outcomes. They can be to develop relationships, celebrate an accomplishment, or foster communication skills. Based on the ultimate result and effects required, team building activities can get categorized into the following kinds:
- Relationship Development Activities
These activities aim to improve the bonds and connections among the members of a group or team. They allow the individuals to share information and even secrets about themselves without shying about or feeling embarrassed or forced. One famous and interesting activity under this category is ‘Two Truths and a Lie.’ In this game, the participants prepare three questions and answers. It can be about their lives and hobbies. Two among them are the truth and the third, made-up. The other participants have to guess which among the three is false. It is a fun, exciting, and quick activity that helps the members or participants of a team get to know each other better.
- Celebratory Activities
Celebratory activities generally rejoice or commemorate a success story or an accomplishment. They are typically enjoyed off-site and with a large group. A few examples of celebratory activities consist of escape rooms, scavenger hunts, and even racing events. These games work by dividing the participants into teams and competing against one another. They serve as an excellent way of recognizing the talents and efforts of each member of a group and uniting them. They also reward both the individual’s and the teams’ accomplishments.
- Communication Skills Forging Activities
Activities that work to improve and develop the communication skills of an individual require each member of a team to focus and concentrate on their thinking and perception. They need to have persuasion abilities and identify suitable and effective tactics that help get their message across the room. Some activities that help in forging communication skills are Lost on the Moon or Lost at Sea. The games do not require any elaborate setting, supplies, training, or facilitator. Nevertheless, they help build a solid and unbreakable foundation of interaction through team building. They can also set the platform or stage for even more complex activities with the same purpose in the future.
What are a few of the Best Team Building Activities that Work?
Team building activities can ensue either indoors or outdoors. Let us see two of each category that help build an influential and effective team in actuality:
Indoor Team Building Activities
- Campfire Stories: Campfire stories allow the members of a team to gain information about themselves comfortably. They improve and enhance team bonding and serve as an informal session to train juniors and peers alike. Individuals can start with a keyword like ‘book,’ ‘lunch,’ ‘hero,’ and so on to take the game forward.
- Spectrum Mapping: Spectrum mapping helps organize the viewpoints and concepts of all the team members into a colorful spectrum. It unearths the diversity in a group and allows individuals to learn about the opinions of others. This activity also permits introverted people to speak up.
Outdoor Team Building Activities
- Object or Movie Guessing: This activity is an exceedingly common team-building activity that can also get done indoors. It requires a participant to demonstrate a movie or object using only their actions and no words. It serves as a great ice-breaker in events.
- Blind Draw: Blind draw focuses on a team rather than individuals. The game requires individuals to draw something using verbal instructions. It emphasizes and relies on communication skills and teamwork.